ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to the scheduling of the last Presidential debate, the 48th Legislative District October meeting will be moved to October 26th at 7:00 pm, still at the North West Arts Center.
Our May meeting was rescheduled from Wednesday May 18 to Wednesday May 25 in order to allow us to consider endorsements as soon as possible after the close of filing on Friday 5/20. Our Bylaws prohibit endorsing candidates before close of filing.
The meeting time and place remain unchanged, 7 PM at the Northwest Arts Center. See “Attend a Meeting” pulldown menu for details.
Candidates needing information about our endorsement procedures should consult the pulldown menu, “2016 Candidate Endorsement Procedures.”
Legislative briefing byState Senator Cyrus Habib andState Rep. Joan McBride.Endorsements(All PCOs/members may vote)Note the change in day and date from our usual Third Wednesday meeting date.The meeting was changed by members’ vote to accommodate the Board of Elections candidates’ publication deadline on Wednesday 5/20.
7:00 PM Check-in
Northwest Arts Center, 9825 NE 24th St., Bellevue. Doors open 6:45.
7:10 Call to order, approval of agenda and minutes.
Legislative briefing by Cyrus and Joan (Rep. Ross Hunter met with us via Skype in April.)
Courtesies: CD and organizational updates, first requests for our endorsement, etc.
- Our Bylaws require a previous appearance by a candidate or representative requesting our endorsement to be considered for endorsement at tonight’s meeting.
- Candidates qualifying for consideration at tonight’s meeting:
- Candidates for King County Auditor: Lloyd Hara (incumbent) and John Wilson.
- King County Council: Claudia Balducci.
- Bellevue City Council: Vandana Slatter.
- Kirkland City Council: Shelley Kloba.
- King County Superior Court Judges: Samuel S. Chung, Veronica A. Galvan, and Janet M. Nelson (incumbents appointed by Gov. Inslee to vacated positions). Judge Nelson was sworn in last week and was inadvertently omitted in our newsletter from the list of candidates who have appeared at prior meetings to request our endorsement.On-going and new business will be deferred until June except for any PCO appointments presented by our First Vice Chair for approval.Good of the Order and Adjournment.
By Phil Kouse, Chair.
Here is the 48th LD procedure for endorsements for the 2015 primary election.
Our first round of endorsements will occur on Monday evening, May 18, rescheduled from our regular Wednesday May 20 meeting night to accommodate the Board of Elections publication schedule.
Our Bylaws require that a candidate or representative must have appeared at a meeting at least one month before our May endorsement meeting to request our endorsement. Candidates or their proxies appearing May 18 and requesting our endorsement for the first time may be considered for endorsement at our June meeting.
Our Executive Board requests that candidates submit copies of their King County Democratic Central Committee questionnaire and of a questionnaire submitted to a labor council or union, or explanation why no labor endorsement was sought. These should be sent at least five days in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Endorsements.”
The 41st LD also is considering endorsements on May 18. 41st Chair Karol Brown and I have agreed that candidates for endorsements of both LD’s should appear first at the meeting of the 41st LD and then at the 48th about 8:15. Candidates for Redmond and Kirkland Councils or any other offices not sharing judicatories with the 41st will be considered earlier in our meeting.
If your campaign has any questions, please contact me at (425)533-3385.
7 PM January 14 (Second Wednesday)
Northwest Arts Center
Call to Order by Temporary Meeting Chair
Appointment of Secretary, Parliamentarian, Sergeant at Arms and Tally Committee
Adoption of Agenda and Meeting Rules
Election of District Chair
Appointment of District Credentials Committee
Election of All Other District Officers
Approval of PCO Applications
Good of the Order
Presentations by candidates, issues and organizations.
Legislative Wrap-up: Representatives Ross Hunter and Cyrus Habib and State Senator Rodney Tom
New Business: Consideration of donation to King County Democrats for 2013