- Washington Work and Family Coalition presentation re: family and medical leave
- New and tabled endorsements [Bylaw: "At any meeting at which endorsements have been given as an item for the agenda, the membership may endorse candidates for elected office or for ballot propositions." Article XII.Section 1]
- Presentation by Parliamentarian John Elsbree
- Reports by Treasurer and Chair (with Q&A)
- Good of the Order and Adjournment
Suggested potluck items by last name:
- A-G Appetizers
- H-O Salads
- P-Z Desserts
OR you may make a cash contribution toward the cost of the burgers.
The good news: pets allowed in park (on leash with proper hygiene)
The bad news: no alcoholic beverages.
Please RSVP Virginia Rogalsky by Monday to assist Virginia and Yosefa Kouse to plan hamburger purchases.
Presentations by candidates, issues and organizations.
- Dow Constantine, incumbent candidate for King County Executive.
- Other candidates who attend may make presentations, but there will be no Q&A at this meeting due to the amount of time devoted to it at our June endorsement meeting.
- Introductory presentation by Responsible Choices with brief Q&A. http://www.responsiblechoiceswa.org/
Legislative Wrap-up: Representatives Ross Hunter and Cyrus Habib and State Senator Rodney Tom
New Business: Consideration of donation to King County Democrats for 2013
48th LD members made the following endorsements by at least 2/3 majority vote meeting in Bellevue Wednesday, June 19, and Wednesday, July 17.
Dow Constantine, King County Executive.
John Urquhart, King County Sheriff.
John Creighton, Port of Seattle Commissioner Position 1
Courtney Gregoire, Port of Seattle Commissioner Position 2
Stephanie Bowman, Port of Seattle Commissioner Position 3
Steven Kasner, Bellevue City Council Position 4
Lynne Robinson and Vandana Slatter, dual endorsement for Bellevue City Council Position 6. (It is the earnest hope of our members in recommending their dual endorsement that voters will select these persons to be the top two of the three candidates in the primary who go forward to the November primary election, an outcome which is feasible under our current primary election system.)
Jay Arnold, Kirkland Council Position 1
Shelley Kloba, Kirkland Council Position 2
Doreen Marchione, Kirkland Council Position 7
Krischanna Roberson, Bellevue School Board Director, District 4
King County Proposition 1 (Parks Levy): Recommend vote in favor of proposition
No candidates for other offices have requested our consideration for endorsement to date. Initiatives appearing only on the November ballot will be considered for recommendation of vote for or against at a later date.
Check-in 7:00, Northwest Arts Center, 9825 NE 24th Street, Bellevue
Call to order and approval of agenda 7:10
I. Endorsements. (Candidates will be excused after their presentations in order to appear at the 41st LD for their endorsements at 8:15 PM. Endorsements will be posted late Wednesday on our website.)
- Endorsement requested by only one candidate for a position: Dow Constantine (KC Exec), John Urquhart (Sheriff), John Creighton (Port of Seattle Com 1), Courtney Gregoire (Port of Seattle Com 2), Steve Kasner (Bellevue Council Pos 4), Shelley Kloba (Kirkland Council Pos 2).
- Requests for endorsement for same position (in order requests were received by our LD): Michael Wolfe v. Stephanie Bowman (Port of Seattle Com 3), Vandanna Slatter v. Lynne Robinson (Bellevue Council Pos 6).
Watch later this week for an email with links to their questionnaires.
All members in good standing (elected PCO or dues paid more than 30 days before the meeting) are eligible to vote on endorsement. 2/3 majority of persons voting required for endorsement.
- Election of Communications Director deferred from April/May meetings
- Election of 2nd Vice Chair vacated by resignation deferred from May meeting.
Bylaws Article VI Section 1a: Only elected or appointed (not acting) PCOs may vote for Vice Chair. All members in good standing may vote for Communications Director.
III. New Business including legislative updates if legislators/senator are present
IV. Officers’ Reports
V. Courtesies for candidates arriving late from other LD meetings
VI. Good of the Order and Adjournment